Monday 19 October 2009

Samantha Bryan, Brains Faries, 10 - 15 August



1. What were your initial thoughts when you opened the parcel?
When I was first able to experience my parcel I felt overwhelmed, over stimulated and thoroughly daunted. I was impressed by Karen’s contribution and was concerned it would be a difficult one to follow.

2. What was the main source of inspiration from the piece that you received?
The piece offered such a vast amount of imagery and inspiration. I found I could only respond by focussing on one image on the disc and the sound that supported that particular image. The image was that of a splash in water. I looked at the still and began trying to recreate what I could see using the materials that I had to hand. I tried not to think too much about what I was doing and let the materials and the process dictate the outcome....working very differently to how I would usually work.

3. Describe your piece?
My piece is a delicate three dimensional form covered in projections.

4. In business terms, what have you learned or gained from the project?
This project forced me to think differently about the creative process. It has unearthed a desire to make without having to produce an outcome that can be sold...to create simply because I want to....not because I have to.