Thursday 24 September 2009

Chris Chapman: 1 June - 6 June 2009

Chris Chapman

1. What were your initial thoughts when you opened the parcel?
Starting off the project was difficult as I had nothing to respond or interpret.

2. What was the main source of inspiration from the piece that you received?
As I have limited time for 'personal work' I decided to be inspired by my personal life. There is no time for self indulgence commercially so as I have always enjoyed portraiture/life drawing I decided that my piece was going to be my son Noah. I wanted to see how quickly something personal to me would be abstracted with each pass of the parcel.

3. Describe your piece?
Coming from a fine art background my art has always been realistic and faithful to the subject. I wanted to create a portrait that was
big on the page, just focusing on the face. The expression is a little quirky representing my son’s sense of humour.

4. In business terms, what have you learned or gained from the project?
I have learned that I need to make time for my art and there needs to be a work/life balance. Perhaps in doing so my graphic design will develop in a way I hadn't anticipated too. As a graphic designer my inspiration comes from a myriad of different sources, maybe now my own art might be a welcome addition to what is usually computer generated commercial work.