Thursday 24 September 2009

Dawn Robinson: 8 June - 13 June 2009

Dawn Robinson

1. What were your initial thoughts when you opened the parcel?
I wrote these down when I opened up the parcel:Sparkly eyes; Young, freckles; Lips determined; Mischievous/ Cool/ Smug look

2. What was the main source of inspiration from the piece that you received?
The eyes really stood out for me and I do have a thing about eyes. My thoughts were to create some kind of collage to create an eye using natural texture – petals, leaves etc with possibly using a faint image of the picture in the pupil of the eye. I started to gather materials and even got the paints out. I realised that I was really short on time and that I had other ‘business’ deadlines to fulfil so unfortunately I had to scrap the collage idea.

3. Describe your piece?
My piece ended up being a photograph, it is a picturesque scene of a bridge but the real emphasis is the fact that with the reflection of the water, it had created an eye. I wanted to still use the initial portrait as part of the reflection so with a little Photoshop work I placed the image into the picture.

4. In business terms, what have you learned or gained from the project?
Should I do something like this again, I would do it differently. I am a photographer, my creative skills are with my camera and the use of Photoshop to maybe enhance or ‘play’ with the image. I think that part of the fact that I stayed with photography rather than some other form was my lack in confidence and ability in creating something using other material. Looking back I think I could have come out of my comfort zone and tried the collage that I originally wanted to do.