Tuesday 29 September 2009

Michael Barrett: Emelbi. 22 - 27 June


1. What were your initial thoughts when you opened the parcel?
I was excited to be opening the parcel. I couldn’t wait to see what was inside. My initial response was to spend some time absorbing what I was looking at and how it made me feel. It was challenging but fun to form decisions about how best to proceed based upon what I had found.

2. What was the main source of inspiration from the piece that you received?
The piece I received from Andrew Warburton was abstract and minimalist. It was the way in which the marks had been made and his use of metallic paint that most influenced me. I developed my artwork from these beginnings.

3. Describe your piece?
Funky I think. Well, I find it funky! It was an undertaking and quite time consuming. I had never used this type of material in this way before, so it was challenging and experimental. I wanted to make something aesthetically pleasing and quirky. I’m pleased with the result.

4. In business terms, what have you learned or gained from the project?
Don’t be afraid to try something different or something challenging. You never know what the outcomes may be or where they might take you. It’s been great to work on this project with so many artists involved. It’s amazing what you can achieve together with communication, cooperation and being involved in the first place.